GIFT is a global network that facilitates dialogue between governments, civil society organizations, private sector and other stakeholders to find and share solutions to challenges in fiscal transparency and participation. It works through advocacy, peer-learning and technical assistance, research, and tech for participation.
GIFT works to harmonize the normative architecture of fiscal transparency norms, for example by launching the High-Level Principles of Fiscal Transparency (endorsed by the United Nations) and more recently the Principles of Public Participation in Fiscal Policy.
GIFT facilitates workshops for peers from around the world to share experiences and solutions, for example by leading the Fiscal Openness Working Group of the Open Government Partnership (OGP). GIFT also provides technical assistance, for example for the implementation of OGP commitments.
GIFT’s evidence-based research documents the impact of fiscal transparency and participation to better understand and disseminate incentives. Examples include a thorough review of all known evidence of fiscal transparency impact and lessons of participation in the budget cycle.
Tech for Participation
GIFT facilitates the use of technology for open and inclusive fiscal processes, for example by supporting with countries launching fiscal portals and by developing an open fiscal data specification for easy publication, visualization and analysis of budget data.
For information on how to engage with GIFT, the Lead Stewards and/or the GIFT streams of work, please contact GIFT’s Network Director, Juan Pablo Guerrero (email@example.com) or write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay informed about GIFT’s work by signing up to our NEWSLETTER or following us on Twitter and Facebook. You are also invited to join the Open Government Partnership-GIFT Fiscal Openness Working Group by emailing Abhinav Bahl (email@example.com).
How does GIFT works?
Stewards Meetings Materials
Materials used during the GIFT’s General Stewards Meeting. Mexico city. March 8-9, 2017.
Minutes of the GIFT General Stewards Meeting Mexico City, March, 8-9.
• General Stewards Meeting Agenda Mexico City, March, 8-9.
• General Stewards Meeting. Juan Pablo Guerrero.
• Opening Up Government Deals and Pesos. Kathrin Frauscher.
• Open Contracting and Fiscal Transparency. Where do they meet? Lorena Rivero del Paso, Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, Mexico.
• Fiscal Transparency – New Milestone. Federal Budget Secretariat, Brazil.
• Fiscal Transparency Updates News for 2017. Lorena Rivero del Paso, Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, Mexico.
• Enhancing Public Financial Management in the Public Sector. Vincent Tophoff – IFAC.
• OFDP Evaluation. Secretaria de Orçamento Federal Federal Budget Office, Brazil.
• The Open Fiscal Data Package. Diana Krebs, OKFN.
• Open Fiscal Data Package in Mexico. Aura Mtz. Oriol, Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, Mexico.
• Education Reform program platform. Aura Mtz. Oriol, Ministry of Finance and Public Credit, Mexico.
• The Guide on Principles and Mechanisms of Public Participation in Fiscal Policy. Tania Sánchez Andrade.
• #FiscalTransparency Paraguay. Rafael Palau.
• Avanzando hacia los datos abiertos. Carlos Antonio Mendoza Alvarado, Ministry of Finance of Guatemala.
• Fiscal Transparency and Public Participation in South Africa. Raquel Ferreira, National Treasury of South Africa.
• Fiscal transparency advocacy. FUNDE, El Salvador.
Materials used during the Fiscal Transparency Commitments in OGP’S National Action Plans Workshop - GIFT General Stewards Meeting. Washington D.C. June 20-21, 2016.
• Fiscal Transparency Commitments in OGP National Action Plans. Juan Pablo Guerrero
• Public Participation in Fiscal Policy Principles & Mechanisms. Juan Pablo Guerrero
• Guide to the Principles of Public Participation in Fiscal Policy. Olivia Radics & Tania Sanchez
• Open Government Partnership Mexico’s Fiscal Transparency Commitments. Lorena Rivero del Paso
• Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Indonesia. Mardiasmo – Vice Minister of Finance
• Public Participation. Vidal Llerenas Morales
• Fiscal Transparency – Ministry of Finance of Georgia. Natia Gulua
• Open Budgeting, transparency and public participation – South Africa. National Treasury: Raquel Ferreira and Public Service Accountability Monitor: Zukiswa Kota
• Transparency in Paraguay. Lea Gimenez
• Fiscal Transparency Commitments in OGP’s National Action Plans & GIFT General Stewards Meeting – Institute of National Affairs & Department of Treasury – Papua New Guinea. Paul Barker & Peter mondoro
• Fiscal Transparency in Mongolia – Ministry of Finance. Lea Gimenez
• Group 3 – Linking fiscal transparency initiatives to transactional data. Greg Linden, Dr. Mardiasmo, Natia Gulua, Vidal Llerenas, Keith Mclean, Peter Mondoro, Darga, Ganbat and Zukiswa Kota
• Propuesta de temas a priorizar – Ciidh, Guatemala Mario Celada
• Talking points – Moldova. Adrian Lupusor, Executive Director, Expert-Grup.
Materials used during the Advisory Group Meeting Open Fiscal Data Package GIFT - World Bank - Open Knowledge. Washington, D.C. December 15, 2015.
• Exploring new frontiers in fiscal openness – BOOST. Massimo Mastruzzi.
• Fiscal Data Package Review & Next Steps – OKFN. Cecile LE GUEN.
• GIFT / Fiscal Data Package – Iteration 3 – OKFN. Paul Walsh.
Materials used during the Public Participation Seminar - GIFT Stewards Meeting. Washington, D.C. December 1-2, 2015.
• GIFT General Stewards Meeting and Public Participation Seminar. Hazel Feigenblatt and Olivia Radics.
• Citizens and non-state actors should have the right and effective opportunities to participate directly in public debate and discussion over the design and implementation of fiscal policies. Brian Wampler.
• PUBLIC PARTICIPATION IN FISCAL POLICY: Approval of GIFT Principles and Next Steps, Day 1. (PPT presentation) Murray Petrie.
• An International Initiative on Fiscal Transparency, Participation & Accountability. Juan Pablo Guerrero & Murray Petrie.
• Comparative study of public participatory experiences. Vanessa Macedo.
• The Impacts of Fiscal Openness: A Review of the Evidence. Paolo de Renzio and Joachim Wehner.
• OGP Action plans due in June 2016. Abhinav Bahl.
• Transparency in Mexican Federal Revenues. Héctor J. Villarreal, CIEP.
All rights reserved